Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day Two

Well today was a full day, best characterized by the word 'ouch'.

First Ouch, 7:30 am: medical appointment to draw blood, second ouch,  before breakfast, almost as bad as 8am college classes!  Why is this normal? I force myself to be a morning person with little success.  I don't want to conform.

There are about 75 people in the program at the moment from what I can tell, and this apparently swells and ebbs on the time of year. Each has their own individualized program that they are working on here.  Some are here for 1 week return visits, some are here for two weeks, and others are here for the month such as myself.  Although I am here for weight loss, as are most folks, there are many that are here utilizing the facility for other medical issues, ie: recovery from surgery.  It is fairly amazing that there is as much personal one on one time given all the individualized programs, but they make it work.

I started early today with a lecture by the head doc who was trying to imply the differences in Fitness vs. just weight loss.  Apparently, I will be in a much better position, yes, by losing weight, but it is much more important to be fit to do life's activities. This was a concept that I had not considered.  Yes, I need to get out of the obese category for sure, but there is little medical benefit from someone who is a skinny, lean person who is not fit, and an overweight individual who is physically fit to do the tasks they need to do.  He had science to back it up.  I thought I was coming here to crank off the weight, and I will, but it is their focus to work on fitness for mind and body that is more important.  I think I can now properly classify myself as 'de-conditioned'.  It seems to soften the blow, but it was my third 'ouch' before 10am.

Had to pay the bill.  Ouch.

Then I met with my Physiologist...aka, Fitness trainer.  He and I discussed my history, and we put together a plan for me during my stay as well as working on ways to incorporate them into life after Duke. The ouch came later when I spent my first day in the gym.  If all goes according to plan.  I should be sufficiently sore tomorrow morning.  I was on the treadmill for an hour, and then worked on this machine that is kind of a recubant step machine that works the arms and has the potential to remove your spleen if activated incorrectly.  Ouch.  Medicine balls.  Why? 

Also met with the mind/body social worker to make sure that I'm not binge eating, depressed, or crazy.  Apparently, I passed that test too.  She has good things to say and had some great commentary on finding support when I'm back home.

I ended the day having a class with the dietician, which is definately my least favorite aspect of this program.  It's informative, and yes, I now know what a 1/4 cup of flaxseed will do for me.  I'm hoping that this will translate into real world applications for me, so applying myself into it regardless.

I'm going to go enjoy my snack.  Two 4" long pieces of celery with peanut butter....the container for the peanut butter is smaller than a coffee creamer.  I didn't know they even packaged peanut butter in smaller containers than 'tub' or 'vat'.  Learning all the time.....  Cheers. Ouch.

2 comments:

  1. Do you like raisins? If so add raisins to the celery stick. Ants on a branch! All the kids are doing it. Really they are kids. And if you don't like raisins... add ants. Protein! Keep up the good work! Michael & Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good thing! You'll be so happy once you start reaping the rewards!!! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete