Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 18. Time has sped up.

As I said before, it has been scary for me to address food upon my return to real life so when I get a nutrition course tee'd up for me in my schedule, I seize hold and become a sponge, trying to absorb as much as I can.  Today's 8am class (notice, I didn't bitch about the early start) was entitled simply, "Power Foods".  This was a rundown of the top ten items that are either so worthwhile or that are misconceived by media output.  I'm actually going to list them off for you as I found particular interest in these. I won't explain all, though.  Basically, these are foods that have high nutrient content, disease fighting properties, and may have controversial health effects.  I will try not to be preachy as I will still like you if you choose to believe what you need to, but this is what was presented so take a seat and get comfy.

The Avocado:  active compounds to prevent prostrate cancer, enhances the absorption of lycopene and beta carotene when paired with Salsa (Hello!) and salad.  The fats in avocado are mainly mono-unsaturated, which are associated with cardiovascular health.  Good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, E, potassium, and lutein.  To be honest, I can't remember what the hell lutein does for us....

Blueberries:  Tops 60 fruits and vegetables in antioxidants. I can't pronounce it but it contains Anthocyanin ( makes the blue color).  Prevents free radical damage (protects against some cancers).  May improve memory and coordination (coming out of Alzheimer's research). Exerts anti-inflammatory effects (improves cardiovascular health), and maintains UTI health (as good as cranberry's)  Little blue bombs of goodness.  High fiber, some vitamin E thrown in and only 80cals/cup

Broccoli: This is apparently the wonder vegetable.  I didn't realize all of its benefits coming into this so this one struck me upside the head.  Luckily, I like it.  It's like nature's multi-vitamin: has K,C,E,B and minerals such as calcium, iron, selenium (uhhhh, I forgot on this one too) and potassium.  High ins Sulforaphane (say that 12 times fast, it's fun!) but this may fight some breast cancers.  Tons of antioxidants, Lutein (again, duh) and zeazanthin (for eye health).  Basically, you can't go wrong here.  Protects against cancer, heart disease, stroke, and macular degeneration, builds strong bones, Fortifies the immune system (like I need any more of that!) and it can add bulk and fiber but with few calories...Good stuff.

Bored yet?  Feel free to come back to these later with a glass of wine....

Chocolate:  A personal favorite....  Obviously, high calorie, high fat "treat".  (this will be a struggle) Per ounce (which is incredibly small to me) is 130-150 calories, and 9 grams of fat.  Here's the good stuff: Heart healthy nutrients.  Decreases LDL oxidation (the bad), can temporarily lower BP (vasodilation).  Stearic acid may boost HDL levels (the good). Decreases platelet aggregation, similar to aspiring.  Moderation and high Cocoa percentages are key....thankfully, this will not be a problem as I like all chocolate! Although, I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the chocolate Tofu Parfait they laid on me without first disclosing the tofu part... I'm adjusting and recovering well.

Eggs: Another personal fav! Great protein, 13 minerals and vitamins, folic acid, D, E, ect, great source of Omega-3 which is hard to come by in our usual diet (we get plenty of Omega-6) for heart health and cognitive function.  One to two eggs per week is fine.  Egg whites, I will be eating many of these, 3 egg white omelet before ingredients is only 45cal.  You have to be a bit alert about the cholesterol, but the current research has disproved a lot of the stigma that we hung on the good old egg.  There are some studies that have shown that ingesting this cholesterol does not affect the LDL/HDL ratio with any significance as the liver takes care of these levels.  Again, controversial, but you can ease up on the egg.  They're much more concerned with saturated fat intake in this regard, so avoid butter, cheese, ice cream, lard (does anybody use lard anymore) fried food and commercial baked goods (transfats) and of course, exercise.  Go figure.

Okay I'm bored. The rest are listed below:

Green Tea:    It's good, I swear.
Nuts: also good, in moderation though (high fat) and moderation means like an ounce..pick the nut, they're all pretty similar.
Oatmeal
Wine - 4-8oz per day...YAY!!
Yogurt

You'll have to believe me, if you need documentation I can furnish or refer, or tell you to go pound sand (cr. Sara saying). It will depend highly on my mood.

Speaking of waking up.  Remember yesterday with all my extra workouts?  Lets just say that I could not get out of bed facing up.  My abs and obliques were bruised, ugly, and swearing at me first thing.  Well actually first at 4am for the bathroom run...face down and slide off the bed.  I was laughing at myself at 4am! and then mostly swearing at 7am when I had to get up for real.

I gave the psycho's another chance as I still do want to learn anything I can while I'm here, so I went to "Awareness training through Mindfulness Meditation".  I know I struggle with some of the hippie touchy feellyStuff.  I went in open minded, and willing to learn. I actually had a great first half of the class.  I was relaxed, and let myself try to control where my mind was going and just tried to be aware of what was going on around me.  I was successful and I was amazed at how my body/mind responded to the smallest sound in the room when I was "in the zone".  I was really good until the hippie chick from bizzaro land shattered it for me.  She was just so far out there, there was no way for me to catch up and I could no longer relate.  It was humorous because all of us in this small group felt the same way, yet we were all sort of struggling to keep composure.  I was a little vague in my FB post.  I can see the benefits of meditation, I should probably try to incorporate more in my life, but this session became much more useless than useful and there was no going back.  Her message was worthwhile though.  She was suggesting that we need to take a little bit more time between a stimulus and our reaction to it.  A deep breath, a thoughtful moment, to help us move through life a bit more aware.  Hard to explain here, but I think the idea is there.

Lastly, I attended a cooking demonstration with the head chef/director.  Really incredible what she could do, right in front of us.  She chose a Thanksgiving theme and whipped up a frozen pumpkin mousse pie, some stuffing and gravy that tasted great, but still volumetric, low cal, and low sodium.  It was fun to watch her work.  She fielded questions and knew exactly what she is doing.  I suppose I'm inspired, if for no other reason than to know that it can be done.

I did my "usual" Strength circuit, a water class, and 30min on the nu step again, and then I did the strength machines that I was introduced to yesterday.  I think I find interest in the machinery which makes me want to use them.  It's a physics/engineering thing I suppose.  They are so fluid and so much more highly targeted than I ever would imagine.  Again, after my waking Odyssey this morning,  I will probably need some sort of ambulatory assistance to show up and haul me out of bed tomorrow.  Oww.
I can't believe I'm almost done with the third week.  This has flown by.  One more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment