Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 27. Almost

It's been a month.  Truly, you would think that I would have the schedule down pat. Yes, reasonable people would have a clue.  I am apparently, un-normal as I strolled into the DFC with the confidence of someone who has been here long enough to know better.  Realizing, with my breakfast tray in hand, that my last synchronized water ballet class was beginning in mere moments....  I'll call it a sprint breakfast.  It was the fastest meal I've had in a month.  Virtually every skill at mindful eating, consuming in a timely fashion, slowing down, putting my fork down between bites, smelling the roses during a meal - out the window.  I gobbled (timely word) down my food and made a bee line for the locker room...coffee in hand.  I think I was the only person with a hot, fresh cup of java locked in my locker.  I got to the pool in time, but I was barely awake and sans coffee...so close, it was there for moral support this time. 

Brian was the guru du-jour and he seemed to be in a challenging mood.  When I see the buoys of doom come out, I know we're going to hurt, and so early in the day.  Brian takes great pleasure at distributing the buoys to each of us as if it is a projectile of sorts.  He's quite accurate, which is impressive.  I've seen no one with a buoy mark on their forehead.  Today, I got the long-snap version, and my teeth are still intact.  He led us through a good workout...I know it's good because I was winded for most of it.  Today had new twists to it as well which as I've stated makes it interesting.  If nothing else, I have been consistently challenged by these folks. Today we did some work with intervals and intensity levels.  He worked us pretty much through 1,2,3, and 4, (4 means omfg, I can't breath much faster.)  Once we were introduced to 1 and 3, we discarded them for the rest of the session.  I'm really unclear as to when I actually woke up.  I can't tell if it was during the exercise, or upon its cessation, the result was the same.  I felt whupped, in a good way.

I stayed in the pool for two more hours of water volley ball.....I know....again.  Today was the largest group we've had.  We kept a 5 member team on the deep side against 8-9 on the shallow side.  The deep side (my side) crushed the shallow people (we're mean like that).  But overall, the games have gotten better as the group has become more comfortable and have some practice behind them.  It is inspiring to see the progress within a lot of these folks, including myself at some level.  I inhale a lot of pool.  I never thought about this much until one girl said she thought she was ingesting the sweat of everyone in the pool.... Mmmm, thanks for that...  don't think about this too long...it can get gross.  Thank you chlorine.  You are my friend.

We sadly said goodbye to others in the group who were driving home after lunch.  It is sad when good, fun, happy, nice people leave.  You build a bond with them while here much in the same way trench warfare binds people, although on a much less dire scale.  My time for dismissal is tomorrow afternoon.  I guess I have to face the jungle at some point.  My challenge will be getting an hour in on Monday on driving day.  I may go find a state park on my way home and take in a good long walk.  Maybe Mt. Pilot?  Or maybe West Virginia somewhere.  I'll have to google that tomorrow and formulate a plan.  I have a lot to put in place upon my return home, and I'm glad I gave myself a few days to get re-settled.  Remind me to have the landlord turn on my furnace!

I had the opportunity to head back to Raleigh this afternoon to spend some time at Jeff Gordon's home.  Jeff is a friend from Valparaiso, IN whom I met at school.  FB has really been our re-connection vehicle, but it was great that we could sit and chat for a while today.  I met his lovey wife and very fun son, who is just 21 mos.  It was great to see them all!

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Safe travels back! Here's to new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were happy to see you, as well... and incredibly impressed with your journey so far! Keep us informed of your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete