Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 25, Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was a little different this year.  I just posted on FB that this is the first Thanksgiving where I needed to tighten my belt...and I'm out of holes.  I thought that sort of summed up my holiday.  It did start out like all the rest, early to rise  (crap)  in order to get to breakfast before they closed.  But it seemed that I was rerouted to the suck-tel office.  I was greeted with a pleasant "Happy Thanksgiving" and I responded in kind, and then asked to borrow the Thanksgiving Plunger.  Mmmm, that's a day starter.  But I did make to breakfast, and the desk clerk got a good laugh at the celebratory plunger line.

The food staff is probably the nicest bunch of people here.  Of course, I have been extremely nice to them while here....they give me my food.  Just the other day, an extra shrimp made it onto my plate...it pays to be nice.  I do feel bad that they were here on Thanksgiving to serve as if just another day.  I thanked them and brought up their plans for the day and it was a nice bonding moment for all of us.  I think they could have left us a couple of boxes of Cheerios and a half gallon of skim and we'd be done.  Nope, they pulled out all the stops as usual.  I've dialed in on Breakfast...just in time to leave, but for my refresher...I will know.  A 3 egg white omelet, with one whole egg, with cheddar and spinach, a cup of oatmeal, some fruit (I chose pineapple) and the smallest glass of milk that really, I think Barbi would use in her dream house.  It's almost not worth pouring.  Oh, and of course, coffee.  Black.

I adjourned to the gym and got a little step machine in before our Championship Level Water Volleyball Championship.  It was especially fun today because everyone was able to play as no one had classes getting in the way.  I was further able to twist, turn, jump and drown, mostly all at the same time...it has been more of a light cardio activity than I ever would have thought.  But I am a master.  They will miss me when I'm gone.  There is one woman here who suffered a tragic brain injury in a car accident.  Really smart lady, but with a lot of neurologic re-training to do.  She's been with us 3-4 days in the last two weeks and it has been amazing at the progress she has made.  Today she was able to serve the ball like anyone else, two weeks ago, we were holding the ball for her.  Really amazing to see that progress.

My folks showed up again so that we could share the holiday, even though I was in lock down.  They enjoyed the Turkey dinner they dished up for us, and really, other than cranberry sauce, I had sweet potatoes, stuffing and turkey, a salad, and the worlds smallest pumpkin pie I've ever seen...but it was there...all 280 calories of it.  Total meal was only 860, which was a treat...I've been at 650-700 for dinner usually.  The dining staff did dress up the place with linen table clothes and napkins, which was a nice touch to the nursing home look.  It was nice to introduce the folks to a couple of the other inmates.  (The staff also gave us take home meals for dinner, basically, a roast beef wrap)  Most folks vanished after Turkey.  I found it funny that even with the limited offering in terms of volume....many people didn't finish because they filled up before they could finish.  I don't have that problem, but I did take notice. 

I took Mom and Pop to one of the many walking trails available here.  I think we took a mile or so walk in the woods and made our way back to the cars...It was an absolutely stunning day in the woods, bright sunshine, kind of warm, very relaxing.  It was still early, so we headed to the movie theatre.  Roulette brought us to the Muppets.  I will not spoil and I was really kind of looking forward to it.  I was wrong.  Good to see the 'gang', but that was two hours spend without a refund available.  Good for the kids..  I said good bye to the folks whom I will see next month too when they make the journey to Wisconsin with their token stop in Chicago.

I sit here in my suck-tel eating my extremely thin wrap sandwich, apple, salad, and a bag of what I will describe as chex mix alternative.  Air popped popcorn (no oil, that's important), a generic Cheerios, shredded wheat and two pretzels.  It all had some sort of non-salt laden powdered seasoning.  Nice to have for the last quarter of the last game...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!  Safe Travels, and "Hi" to everyone I know!! Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment