Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 26, last classes

The dumb ass in me came out again this morning as I walked in and realized I was forty minutes late for my last fitness class on cardiovascular fitness.  I really wanted to go to this one as I've been to the other set of three and I always learn something.  I guess it will have to wait until the next time...whoops.  The rest of the day was all about getting things wrapped up.   I had an appointment with my doc folks, Sandy, who checked me in.  Basically, this was a review of my second set of labs.  I was actually excited for the weigh in...even though I have three more days before I am released back in to the jungle, My weigh in showed that I've shed better than 20lbs.  I'm kind of stoked about this.  It is the head start I was hoping to have while here.  I may have shed an entire 'X' off of my wardrobe too! This is exciting for me too as I am very used to the number of X's rising and not lowering.  My labs came back in much better shape than when I was first here four weeks ago, no diabetes, HDL/LDL ratio improved, Triglycerides was strangely up, and doc thought they would have fallen, so we may re-test for that one at home next month to see what that says.  But overall, they seem pretty happy with my medical experience here.  I'm still on the half dose of the BP meds, but the BP has been rock solid since the world came in around me that first Saturday. So that is good news too.  I'm actually excited to go see my own doc in a few weeks at home to show him my progress.  I can honestly say, I have never uttered those words before.

On to my Nutrition close out.  I met with Lisa, who yes, at one point over the last month, scared me more than anyone here.  I told her this on our second meeting and I think she was a little concerned how I had interpreted her information, but it was real.  She laid down a ton of stuff I never paid any attention to, and now that it was in my face...she had become the dark lord.  Thankfully, things improved once I caught on, and she is still one of the people I revere the most here.  She, I feel, has me on a very sustainable plan for home.  We reviewed some local restaurant menus near work and I was able to formulate several lunch options that will work within the guidelines.  This is do-able, and I don't have to feel like I am deprived at all.  Things will be different in terms of choices and volume, but after being here on 1500cals, I have 2500ca' to work with at this point in my weight level.  I'm going to aim for 2000cal in a day and allow myself 500 to 'play' with...if I happen to go out on occasion and need to tip a couple back.

Back in the water.  I missed the Water Ballet class due to my appointment, but I was early for Volley ball. 

After lunch, I had a Fitness exit meeting with Brian.  Gerald had been my primary guy on check in, but he is gone on vacation, so Brian stepped in to work on a plan for me to continue my efforts.  He went so far as to jump online right then and there to research what was available in my area, which actually saved me time doing it myself when I got home.  So I already have a short list of places to check out...very cool.  I did purchase a pedometer too (another new toy).  This will help me monitor my daily activity in terms of Activity of Daily Life.  I am on my feet a ton at work, so I think this will contribute to my daily need of 10,000 steps. (It's still a goal for me....I don't think I've achieved that yet)  But we discussed Optimal plans, Realistic goals and Minimal goals.  I think the coaching experience that I've signed up for as well as a research study will help me be motivated to continue.  Right now, my motivation is really high, and as much as I know that life will get in the way at times, it is truly my expectation to rock Illinois a bit with some tonnage moving around.

I will need to rely on my vast network of friends and family to assist me in this.  You asked for it, you got it!  I'm calling each of you!  I will be active damn it!  If it's active, I will be willing.  I will also be taking on dog walking requests.  I may ask to borrow a dog from some of you...they need it and I need it...we can help each other.  Seriously, we'll talk.

Second water volley ball time this afternoon and afterwards, because I missed my water dance session, I did my own water workout.  I just did a lot of the things they've shown us.  I was different because they weren't calling the shots, and I probably didn't push the same way that they did, but I was breathing pretty similar to the way I do in class, so I had to be doing something right.  It was kind of weird doing it alone, but it can be done, and it felt good, so there....



Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. There are so many things that can be done alone and still feel good, Blair! :-) Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete