Friday, November 18, 2011

Day 19, easy street

It seems that things drop off at the DFC just after noon on Fridays.  First, it is seemingly the preferred departure day for a lot of the return folk.  The program has you booked through Sunday's lunch, but with so little formal schedule available on the weekends, people just seem to bail.  So it will be fairly quiet with the number of folks leaving before Thanksgiving.  I will be here....I may be here alone with the woman from Guatemala, but I'll be here...  I had to turn in my menu choice for Thanksgiving.  I'm treating my parents to a lovely cafeteria, DFC style Thanksgiving dinner.  Sounds delightful doesn't it?  Be envious. How many of you will carry a tray for your Thanksgiving dinner.  I feel so unique.

The only class I had today was a fitness class about working out in water.  I think they should have offered this before they throw you in the pool and expect your normal survival instincts to take over.  It was interesting list the benefits of this type of activity.  No joint stress, minimizing pain, lots of resistance, you actually get a cardio and strength workout combined.  All the things I should have known in week one, I now know in week three after attending a dozen or so water classes.  As it was, I was in the pool today from 9am to Noon. One class on flexibility...kind of funny, because I don't bend.  Seriously, I don't think any one's body should be so...stable, but mine seems to be.  Of course the instructor is a very bouncy energetic, beautiful woman.  She is very sweet and wholesome, almost to a fault...and she is secretly plotting for your painful demise...you can tell.  But by looking the way she does (hubba hubba)....well as a man....you tend to puff out your chest a bit, wanting to show her how good you are, only to be so very non-contortionistic in session that any puff you mustered is quickly stolen away, and leaves you in a pool of your own defeated man feelings.  Oh, she's supportive, but she knows that she has crushed you and she puts your esteem in check.  'Ouch' in a whole different way!  Then water aerobics and the now fun found water volley ball.

All of the other classes offered today I've taken already, so today was more about activity, brawn, and stress relief.  Ah yes, R & R.  So, I had a massage.  I have not had a massage in so long it is probably criminal.  After being so sore and torn up from the last two days of workouts, this was a very welcome treat. I had a little deep tissue, a little Swedish, and even though I warned her that the feet were ticklish, she braved those dogs. (Really, I was frightened for her.  One, she massaged my feet, which I don't even like to do for myself, and two, she didn't get kicked in the face from me leaping off the table, a very strong possibility.)  It was just really nice, and felt great.  She was a talker though, I just wanted to melt and enjoy... be one with my brain (I think I need massage with simultaneous meditation...I think that would work well for me) but she always had another question to ask.  It was pleasant, but I could have been out in a second had she let me.

The other thing I find to be a funny change about myself since arriving is my wardrobe style.  I have been missing out. I'm sure you will find this shocking as I now have another reason to wear pants.  From day one, I have worn nothing but sweat pants.  Up until this experience, I think the last pair of sweat pants I owned were from 1986 and were discarded in the early 90's.  I have not owned sweat pants since.  I just never felt like I needed them...well for one, I wasn't working out, so...why be comfortable at other times? And when you come home from work, pants are ejected for shorts. It is a little bit disturbing that I am liking these so much.  They are really comfortable.  All through college, jeans and shorts...no sweats.  I kind of want to go back and correct this somehow.  I do second guess myself when I go outside of the DFC, I guess I just feel different, but truly, I just don't care...that's the comfort I am feeling trumping my usual strong fashion sense of pants.  Can you feel the growth?  I'm a changed man.

I'm posting this early as I actually have plans tonight with one of my college roommates from IC!  I'm off to meet Greg Thomas who lives in Raleigh.  I'm excited to catch up with him as we have not seen each other for 25 years or so, and we've only recently found each other on FB.  Good times, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment