Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 9, Niner

A new week and I'm no longer a newbie here.  Another group started yesterday and I must say, I am very happy to have a couple of guys my own age show up.  I'm told there are a few people from the Chicago area, so maybe I will have compatriots to commiserate with  when I return.

Today dealt with just that.  Trying to help me plan for when I get home...as if I ever want to leave here.  My first course was a workshop that presented us with a couple of different scenarios.  The first, for example was where I would be joining a bunch of friends at a Mexican restaurant to celebrate a birthday.  What would I do?  They quickly rejected my idea of 4 vodka on the rocks and a piece of birthday cake.  Although my quick math was accurate and under my calorie goal, I missed the nutrition part of the equation.  It actually was quite helpful to begin thinking about this stuff.  There is no surprise to those around me that I eat out....a lot.  I will get the occasional Chicken, or Pork Loin or burgers, and after three or four meals of that, I'm exploring menus.  Did I mention I hate cooking for one?  When I buy perishables, I always ask myself how long can I keep this in my fridge before it finds its way into the garbage can. Generally, I keep emergency rations in my cupboards.  Cooking for one is boring, hard, and not fun....for me anyways, the very last thing I want to do in my day.  Now although I am here working on improving things, I do not envision a huge change in this area.  Thankfully, neither do they!!  This place is all about doing things within the confines of your established routines, so my newest friend, the dietitian...who I think has a definite shoe fetish, is working with me to find ways for me to follow my path, but in a healthful way.  The Mexican example was all about trying to make decent choices, but not sacrifice the foods that you like to eat. 

I am a new student of calories.  I had a chance to look through a book called the Calorie Kings Guide.  It's about to be on my smartphone. It is really frightening some of the examples I was reading.  Think of your basic 2000 cal diet.....I applied it against a Ruby Tuesday 1/2lb burger.   This would be a goner.  Target acquired....for 1600 calories, just the burger.  Wow, how many similar meals have I indulged in? Plenty.  Back to my Mexican workshop, (Sounds like a sweatshop...oh wait.)  I was looking at a 6" tortilla.  So cute, so starchy, holds all the good stuff, a hundred calories.  So I then considered the big 16" tortilla at Chipotle.  I can't even guess without welling up.  There are going to be some changes...some may come with a side of mourning.  I just kept thinking of how I have always addressed food vs. what I am going to need to do once back in the general population.  These are two fantastically different approaches. One will have to be perfected, one already is.

My afternoon class dealt with enlisting support.  I can honestly say that I think I have the biggest support group of anyone here.  All of your encouragement, messages, and accolades are overwhelming.  But I will need to find my support mechanisms in my life that can help me propel this decision forward with some longevity.  Beware, all of you!  I remember every word!  Once I know what I need, I'll let you know!

There's a side to working out that I will need to manage better.  The stink.  As you may be able to imagine.  I sweat.  I sweat a lot.  Living in a hotel situation, I've done my best to hang up my gross clothes to allow them to air out.  After a cumulative week, I was headed to the washing machines when I discovered they were all in use.  Drat.  There is a fun device that is in the locker room. It's like a mini high speed salad spinner.  You drop your bathing suit in there and in 5 seconds there is like no moisture left in the garment.  It's actually pretty cool. I never knew such a device existed.  Novice.

I spent about two hours in the gym today, which surely I will regret tomorrow.  I was able to work in the strength training finally as well as my usual aerobic stuff.  The strength stuff is more about weights, resistance bands, some exercise on the machines and some exercises with a really big ball and more pelvis thrusting. Enjoy the visual. I laugh bench pressing.  In high school, I could easily do twice the weight I'm working with now.   It was nice to be up to speed, I think the hydration, knowing my limits and the changes in meds have kept my BP in check.  I did a half hour on the treadmill and another on the Nu-Step machine of death.  I actually really like the Nu-Step machine, which again, is the spleen remover.  It gives me a really great workout....I know this because of the blisters on my thumb.  Yet another new thing I didn't know I needed to worry about.  Oh well.

Oh, this is my drive to the DFC, very pretty and relaxing.
Be Jealous.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing amazingly well Blair!! Awesome! And I would be happy to provide cooking for 1 healthy tips if you ask. Kale chips taste awesome, are super simple to make, and are actually good for you! Ask your nutritionist and if she agrees I will happily pass on super easy recipe and technique. Stay with it! You can do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a loving support system! Count us in! And if you put it out there as honestly as you have done with your blog the next time you're in a real Mexican restaurant, the folks you're dining with will support you too! And hey, I used to run 15 miles without being winded in high school...none of us are what we used to be (but I keep hearing that muscles have memory!)

    ReplyDelete