Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 21 and 22, 22nd is better.

So, I'm sure I didn't ruin any one's day by skipping a day with the blog.  I was really getting in to the football games on yesterday and really didn't have the want to give you a day of nothingness in written form.

But to recap my Sunday, for consistency's sake. After a Saturday water class and two hours of volley ball (I did say I was bored right?), yes, three hours in the pool.  I traveled to the Raleigh Flea Market at the suggestion of an old college friend from Valparaiso who lives here.  He was right.  This is a really nice flea market. And yes, the obligatory sock sales table was there, but this Flea Market had another level of interest to me as it was just that much more "southern" than I normally would expect.  This is not to think that I attend Flea Markets with any kind of regularity, and I am certainly no expert, but this was a nice twist.  It was a gorgeous day...75, bright sunshine, with a good breeze.  I was really not there to purchase, although, I was able to find some stuff for others.  I was there first, to give me something to do, but second to find something a little more interesting to snap a photo of for a photo challenge.  I took my phone and not my camera, which I've learned is not always reliable for picture taking.  I salvaged a couple of shots that were somewhat more acceptable for the challenge, but no where near what I was hoping for from my phone on the creativity scale.  It has some sort of double exposure issue that I will have to resolve somehow.... Came back for dinner, and then I found football with some folks at the DFC.  It was actually nice to watch a couple of games with people from around the country.  As I am now partial to the Bears, it was fun to have someone from California to trade rebukes with during the game.  Thankfully, they squashed San Diego, so I think that means that I win too, right?  All other jabs and retorts are then nullified.  I think that's how that works.

Thankfully, Monday arrived of my final week.  This is sort of an odd week by having Thanksgiving plop itself down in the middle of my time here.  There is a re-organized schedule to allow all classes to be held.  Many staff here will take the four day weekend, so for some, I will be saying my good byes on Wednesday, which seems weird be it for days before I am scheduled to be done. 

I have turned back into a water rat.  I am now concerned about depression and despair setting in as I mourn the pool after I depart.  Not really, as I think I will be able to find pool access nearby at home, which I'm kind of excited to find.  I say all this because, I was in the pool by 9am for a 10 o'clock class.  I put in some random lap time, just to see how sore I can actually make my shoulders before they become useless.  I'm not used to doing anything like laps.  My history of swimming is usually destination minded.  Destinations like, I think I'm going to swim to that island in the lake, or, the boat just sank, I think I'll swim to shore, or, I have fallen overboard, and need to notify someone to pull me out.  Laps, not so much.  But I tried it.  I just kept Michael Phelps in mind after the second time I cracked my melon on the railing just below the surface (handicapped ADA railing, it helps complete the nursing home effect they are going for here.)  It doesn't stick out more than four inches from the wall, but apparently, these are four very critical inches to a dumb ass who doesn't look out where he is swimming.  Between the two walls though, I did pretty well, but I tuckered myself out waaaaay before my aerobics session and subsequent, and now obligatory, water volleyball game.

The great thing for me today was when the instructor, Brian came over to me after class and lowered his hand down to the water as if he were trying to rescue me and pull me back "on board".  He was leaning down so that he could "high five" me (actually 'low five').  He wanted to tell me how much improvement he has seen in my fitness level and was really impressed by how much effort I had been putting in while here.  He made my day!  Totally re-energized me for the day and I hope for longer too.  I was 'the crusher' in Volley ball after that!  I took apart a group of 65 year olds like no body else.  Kidding, well, sort of...they weren't all 65.   I did my strength circuit with a lot more energy too this afternoon, and kicked in a trip on Mr. NuStep too.  It was a full workout day for sure.

I think that I can finally claim a work out injury as my right shoulder joint is not so happy.  It has been making it hard to sleep, I see the doc tomorrow, so I will mention it, but it doesn't feel tragic, just really sore.  I see the doc first thing actually. 7:30am.  You can tell how thrilled I am with this.  Really? 7:30...you mean AM?  Ugg.  I'm not a morning person.  I groan because with the re-organized schedule this week, I will be there 13 hours tomorrow to attend all the classes I want to attend.  There is a class rescheduled for tomorrow night that is a cooking demo with the head chef again about modifying recipes, which, I think will be helpful as I begin to cook for myself with more regularity again.  And just to make sure my shoulder is properly addressed, I scheduled another massage.
 
Be Jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment