Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 7 week one done.

This was a day off day per plan.  We still have to show up to eat their meals, but there are no services or staff on hand.  The gym is open and the pool is open, should you want to push it.  But after being advised to take it easy.  I decided to "get lost" with the GPS.  I thought it might be fun to bounce from historic site to historic site and see if I could actually learn something.  Well, after my third visit to yet another "closed on Sunday's" historic site.  I wandered on my own.  My first stop was at the Bennett House.  This is the site where Confederate General Johnson surrendered his troops to the North, just after Lincoln was assassinated.  Apparently, the assassination was a little wrinkle that neither side knew how to react, yet they were able to hammer out a lasting peace plan and surrender.  Fun to see, not sure what I missed.  Thanks for the sign NC, it was helpful.
Old...really old.

when I see these fences, I expect Union and Confederate soldiers to be there too.

I then headed off towards The Duke Homestead and Tobacco Museum, closed so I went towards Burlington to find another suggested site.  As I drove I found a historic marker for Historic Hillsborough off the highway, so I detoured and found this historic home that had a huge property and had a walking trail called Poets trail.  (They actually supply you little pads of paper and a pencil at a kiosk along the trail and ask you to write a poem and put it in their little box).  At first I was just walking around the property checking out the house.  I had a snack on some Adirondack chairs overlooking a really nice view.  You could visualize this place 150 years ago.  It was beautiful.  This is when my mind left my body and I headed toward the walking trail with my pad of paper in hand, ready to be inspired.  Sometimes I wonder if I make these decisions out of boredom or a sense of adventure....I was having a hard time sitting in one place on such a beautiful day.  So on the trail and down the hill I went. 

I've been very happy to have topography again.  Illinois lacks this by a healthy margin.  I was reminded of New England, my past experience hiking the Long Trail and the Adirondack trail.  This was much less substantial than either of those, but as I neared the bottom of the hill, I reminded myself that I would have to get back up there without over exerting myself given my experience with BP yesterday.  Thankfully, I had fluid with me, and I was feeling pretty good. 

After walking for nearly an hour, I came across a woman who I was able to ask how long the trail was, and she told me two miles, and I was about a quarter mile to the end....but the end was all up hill.  So much for taking it easy today.  I was able to cut across a large field back to the house, so that I could avoid sure doom on the conclusion of the trail.  The thought did cross my mind that it would truly suck if I had another episode as I did yesterday, so that was why I cut it short and put myself in view of other people.  I did make it back to the house and my car with just enough time to race back to Duke to have lunch.  Then, I applied the advice from doc and kicked back and watched what football I could find on TV.

Here are some other random photos so you can gain an idea of where I am...they're not that exciting and do illustrate the combination nursing home/gym decor and facilities...
The back half of the lobby area, Pool Table, Ping Pong, TV, Piano

This is called the learning center, they give cooking demos here as well as other classes and meetings
Each room has recessed screens and projectors, ...it's  been power point hell actually

Dining room, Luxury at it's finest.  It's fine, just very institutional, they could have done so much more with the deco.

I find this interesting.  Flavored water/Still/and carbonated all 0 calorie and really good.

I'm sore.  Hello Ibuprofen my friend....good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment