Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 5

Well, I made it to Friday.  It has been a tough week of being heavily scheduled, and although I still have workout requirements and meals back at headquarters, I am very much looking forward to some down time. 

I woke this morning feeling so much better and energetic than I did yesterday with my low BP situation and I was so much happier going to the pool for more water aerobics.  (stop your chuckling...).  We had a different instructor today and I was amazed at how different the workout became.

This day in the water I was introduced to yet another seemingly benign and innocent looking pair of devices that were quick to reveal themselves and their purpose when used properly.  At face value, it is hard to discern that these are created in the devil's workshop and shipped directly here.  The first they refer to as a buoy.  I made note to myself that I described myself as a buoy on Monday, so I guess I felt a certain kinship with this particular piece of engineering cruelty.  Basically, it looks like a dumbell. Instead of steel weights on either side of the handle, this has foam discs stacked a couple deep.  There are different versions of these, some with thinner foam pieces for less buoyancy, others such as my innocent "blue ones" that were issued to me have have ratings with the most foam.  The second item of water world carnage is a device resembling two ping pong paddles attached at the handles.

I do consider myself to be intelligent and I was not blindsided by the fact that these "tools" were to provide more resistance, hence a better, stronger workout.  Apparently, I do not think things all the way through sometimes and I am taking all this very openly and innocently at face value.  I am learning to be suspicious of my tormentors or physiologists...whatever they wish to be called.  I did say that this would be a different water experience.  I wasn't lying.  OMG.  How to they think of all these things to make you really sore, very quickly and efficiency.... I still like to blame them, even though it is my workout.  I did learn a couple of things.  Rarely do the instructors seem to take notice that there are waves lapping at your air intake areas, and I swear this guy got just a small bit happier when he saw temporary drowning panic in my eyes.  Next,  The workout is REALLY effective.  Holy crap, who thinks of this stuff?  I'm thinking low impact.....wrong, holy sore.  Lastly, never trust foam...ever.  It will do it's best to hurt you.

I had a class offered by a psych professional entitled "I know what I should do, but I just don't".  It was good to see that I'm not alone in this as I've said those exact words for many years.  I like that fact that from the beginning of this journey, they are working on a plan to help you help yourself once released back into the jungle as it were.  Somehow, I have to leave here and continue the journey without a vast network of professionals within arms reach in Chicago.  What I do have is a great support group and network in my friends and family and in those around me at home and I feel reallylfortunate to have the encouragement and energy boosters that I do have as not everyone here has such claims.

Kind of a light day.  A couple of other folks experienced what I did yesterday with their blood pressure and I felt like I've blazed a trail that I could then offer them encouragement that they just feel like crap and it will get better.

1 comment:

  1. Blair,
    Just read all your posts tonight, so thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. Seems like a terrific program, and I think I can can learn some stuff from you along the way.
    Also, when it comes to the comedy factor, you do not disappoint. I am truly LOL-ing here.
    Keep it up and Have Fun!
    -Ingrid

    ReplyDelete