Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 16. Looking forward.

Tuesday was a wash.  I could have been a bit more productive than I was, but for some reason, I woke up with the beginnings of a Blair sized cold that sort of tapped my energy.  I actually took a nap on a couch at the DFC at two, and woke up an hour later.  They actually have a room with a couple of couches in it just for such a purpose.  I decided I should put all the facilities to their best use today apparently.

I chugged through yet another synchronized water ballet class, okay, call it aerobics, but I could not help but notice the similarities.  I suppose we don't have the matching bathing caps, or any caps for that matter.  But we still do the same thing at the same time.

It was funny to watch the management realize that there will be people here for Thanksgiving.  Not too much of a surprise I would think, yet somehow, they were not prepared or someone realized that it is next week.  They bludgeoned us with a ton of schedule changes, meal planning changes, after they realized that none of the staff would be here.  They were scrambling to cancel everything off of the Thursday schedule and to squeeze those into the rest of the calendar.  It was pretty funny.  Really the only important thing to me was the food!!  They gave us three choices for Thanksgiving.  Traditional, Low Carb, or Vegetarian.  All three netted 860 calories.  My deciding vote came down to pie.  The traditional only has 4oz of Turkey and pumpkin pie.  The Low Carb version has 8oz of Turkey, but the pie will have no crust....so, what you're telling me is that you will give me a bowl of filling?  Nope, no dice, give me the pie, the whole pie and nothing but the pie.  Lunch is dinner and they will close the place at 4pm and give us take out meals to take back to my suck-tel.  At least there is football.

I had two classes today, one from the head shrinking tribe, which, I have to admit, was useful. (I gagged a little typing that just now).  It concerned looking forward, helping us to plan certain goals, some red flags and some remedies.  They have a good success record here of folks who go home and actually succeed at this, and I'd really like to be part of this group.  Basically, there are about 7 areas of concentration, each has their own set of goals.  For each, I will be developing an optimal goal, one that says I'm 110% on top of this.  The next is a reasonable goal.  This one is the more realistic, and probably one that is more attainable, but still offering forward progress and still within the plan.  Then they have us come up with a minimal goal.  This is to be a short term goal to be used when life, work, events, illness, get in the way of the higher goals.  Then, as if that wasn't enough, they have us build red flags such as...if I go more than 5 days on the minimal goals...this will happen.  The "this" is what we need to do to get back on track.  It may be something that is pre-arranged with a friend, where, the "this" becomes "call your friend X and just say you need to get back on track"  They will have a pre-arranged agreement to say " hey, you want to go for a walk with me today" (or whatever you pre-decide) to help nudge you back in line.  It seems pretty comprehensive, but coming up with some of these goals are hard to define.  So I have some work to do in preparation for my return.  Ugg.  Rubber meeting the road so to speak.

I had another Science Lecture with one of the good doctors who run this joint.  Everything you ever wanted to know about blood pressure.  I'm now an expert.  As my friend Pete used to say, listening to this guy is the same as drinking a cup of sand.  It was a little dry and humorless, but I did learn a lot, know what the numbers mean, know the limits, and what's goin on with BP. got a run down on all the meds out there and the different types.  Although, I did nod off (this was before nap time) and caught myself with the heavy eyelid problem...just like college.  The last half hour was really long...

So, I'm off to find the sandman early see if I can shake this bug that's got me.  I have boxing tomorrow morning.  Sounds painful, and another medical check in, hopefully sans audience this time.  I need to be chipper.

Oh, and the chaffing was really a joke, sorry to generate concern.  I do not need remedies forwarded, but thank you.  My mothers was the most sincere, however, but involved something.....  I'm not sure what it was as my eyes and brain lost communication with each other after reading the word Monostat (something something something)....I'm not sure of the actual product I went blank.  Nor would I consider it. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment